WorldStrides is committed to academics—and because we’re an accredited program like your school—every student who travels with us has the opportunity to earn free academic credit through our Discovery for Credit program.
If you are a student in grades 6-12 traveling on a WorldStrides program, earning academic credit with your travel program:
- offers you a competitive advantage on your college application
- distinguishes you as a savvy traveler and online learner
- starts you on the right path to a successful completion of higher education.
Out of everything WorldStrides does, being able to offer high school credit and three college credits for free to our travelers is one of the things we are most proud of!
How it works…
Discovery for Credit is a fun way to reflect on your experience and learning during the travel program. And, getting started is easy!
Students traveling on all domestic programs as well as international science programs can register for Discovery for Credit through their student Academic Credit Portal. You can register before, during, or even after you travel. Students traveling on a non-science based international program, please call 800-468-5899 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for academic credit information.
Once you are registered, you can select the course(s) that are of most interest to you—and most relevant to your particular travel program.
After you travel, you’ll work at your own pace within your six-month window to complete all online coursework. Our instructors will provide feedback on your work as you go. You’ll engage in activities that offer options for video responses, opportunities to use photos from your experience, and that invite you to participate in discussion with your peers.
Once you’ve completed both the travel program and the online portion successfully, you’ll receive an official transcript from WorldStrides or our university level partner.
Your official transcript will be sent directly to your home address and you can choose how you’ll use it. Transcripts stand alone and may be submitted alongside your traditional high school transcript as a form of distinction in your academic profile during the college/university application process.
You may also present your transcript to your high school registrar for consideration toward inclusion on your high school transcript. Acceptance is always determined at the discretion of the receiving institution. You can contact the Worldstrides Curriculum and Academics Team for supporting documents via email@example.com
Options and eligibility for Discovery for Credit…
Free High School Credit
- Course Options: Online courses are paired with corresponding travel programs to reflect the themes and destinations. You’ll choose courses from your custom menu.
- Eligibility: Students in grades 6-12 at the time of travel on WorldStrides programs are eligible to participate in Discovery for Credit.
- Cost: Discovery for Credit course participation is free—that means you pay nothing!
Three Free College Credits
- Course Options: Students have multiple options for completing coursework online. College courses differ in theme and destination based on the travel program.
- Eligibility: Students in grades 9-12 at the time of travel on WorldStrides programs are eligible to participate.
- Cost: On high school international programs offered through our Perspectives programs, 3 college credit hours are included for free. Transcripts for college credit are issued through the University of California – San Diego.
There are benefits for teachers, too!
Teachers who travel with WorldStrides—either as group leaders or as chaperones—are eligible to receive free professional development hours, points, or units. Our Curriculum and Academics Team helps identify opportunities to meet your state’s standards and to develop your portfolio.
Through your participation in a WorldStrides travel program, you’ll earn a professional development certificate for up to 35 points/hours or 3.5 CEUs based on the length of your program.
Our Curriculum and Academics Team, in conjunction with multiple regional accreditations and our university partnership, offers teachers the opportunity to earn graduate credit. For a special educators’ discount, traveling teachers are invited to participate in our online graduate credit course!
Contact the WorldStrides Curriculum and Academics Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Students love Discovery for Credit!
“I enjoyed being able to look at the test and know what was on it so I could then conduct my research and make key points about what I needed to learn. I felt like I learned so much more completing this course than I would in a classroom.”
—Tiana from Washington
“Overall I enjoyed learning about our laws, because the questions made me think about what they actually are. I feel I will remember what I learned from this course forever.”
—Aria from Illinois
“I liked how it proved that we did learn something, even while on the best ‘vacation’ of our lives. My favorite activity was the Public Service announcement—I enjoyed making the poster that I actually put on the bulletin board on the Wasatch County Search and Rescue building where my dad is a SAR responder.”
—Noah from Utah