Introducing Our 2017-2018 Choreographers!
If you’re anything like us, you can’t wait for the summer to watch Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance. The show brings contemporary dance to the homes and hearts of many. We tune in episode after episode to be inspired by the choreography and to be moved by the expression of dance. The choreographers featured are defining the dance of our time – they are the modern day George Balanchine, Bob Fosse, and Martha Graham.
WorldStrides OnStage is humbled daily to be able to work with these choreographers who are the pulse of the dance world. We are so jazzed to announce our 2017-18 choreographers!
Holiday Bowl Main Choreographer: Dee Caspary
A native of Los Angeles, California, Dee has been dancing his entire life – his parents ran their own studio. At twelve, he began his professional career as a dancer in the popular Disney TV show Kids Incorporated. He now owns IV Dance Company and teaches at several other dance studios across the country. Dance Magazine has called Dee “the modern day Fosse of our generation”. Most recently Dee joined us in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl – where his choreography stole the show. This season, Dee Caspary will choreograph our Holiday Bowl event in San Diego.
- Dancer in Paula Abdul music videos
- Dancer for New Kids on the Block and Tiffany
- Actor and dancer in the feature film Newsies
- Choreographer for So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing with the Stars
- Choreographer for commercials that include Dayquil and Verizon Wireless
- Choreographer and Director for live events like Billboard Live, the 2008 ESPY’s, Hard Rock Café, Oakley, Key Club, and The Stone Movement
- Choreographer and Staging Director for Justin Timberlake and Demi Lovato
- Choreographer for professional companies that include Odyssey Dance Theatre, Evolution Dance Company, and the New York City Ballet
Orange Bowl Main Choreographer: Cris Judd
Since discovering his love for dance after college, Cris has traveled the world spreading his passion for choreography and performance and has shared the stage with some of the biggest names in pop and hip hop. He’s currently a choreographer and actor, and lives in L.A. with his family. Cris Judd will teach this year’s Orange Bowl show choreography! Here are just a few of Cris Judd’s achievements:
- Performer for Walt Disney World
- Performer for Michael Jackson for the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards and “HIStory” and “Dangerous” Tours
- Dancer for Janet Jackson, Cher, Celine Dion, N’SYNC, Enrique Iglesias, Brian McKnight, and Jennifer Lopez
- Dancer/Choreographer/Actor in Bringing Down the House
- Dancer/Actor in Everybody Loves Raymond
- Choreographer for Usher, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Julio Iglesias, Angie Martinez, and Jordan Knight
- Choreographer/Judge on America’s Got Talent
- Choreographer for School of Rock – Nickelodeon
- Choreographer for Ricky, Nicky, Dicky and Dawn – Nickelodeon
- Choreographer for Disjointed – Netflix
- Choreographer for Fuller House – Netflix
Emmy-award winning Bonnie Story will choreograph the Russell Athletic Bowl. She is one of the country’s hottest choreographers and the master mind behind the choreography in all three High School Musical movies. She has been choreographing events with us since 2007, and we are lucky to have her back! She choreographs from the heart, and has a way of working with students to make them reach their highest potential. Here are a few of her credentials:
- Dancer in Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” music video
- Emmy Award winner – Outstanding Choreography, High School Musical
- Choreographer on So You Think You Can Dance
- Co-choreographer for the opening and closing ceremonies at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City
- Co-choreographer for Cirque du Soleil’s Viva Elvis
- Associate Artistic Director of Odyssey Dance Theatre
- Choreographer on the Donny and Marie Show
- Won the 2015 World Choreography Award for “Best Choreography in a Commercial” for the Courtyard Marriott
Liberty Bowl Main Choreographer: Rob Schultz
From Detroit, Rob Schultz is set to teach the Liberty Bowl choreography. He’s trained at the Turning Pointe Dance Studio, and has traveled all over the world teaching master classes and choreography. Rob joined us in 2016 at the Holiday Bowl, and his choreography stole the show!
- Dancer in feature films She’s All That, Flintstones 2, Gigli, and The Wedding Planner
- Dancer in Scrubs, The Late Show with Jay Leno, MTV Music Awards, Soul Train Awards, and Billboard Music Awards
- Dancer in commercials for Jack In The Box, AT&T, and Pepsi
- Choreographer for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network, Rachel Ray’s 3D Halloween Special, Modern Family, Grounded for Life
- Flash Mob choreographer for Lady Gaga at Pink Party, Toy Story 3 Video Game, and GLAAD Awards
- Rob has worked as a dancer with all kinds of musical acts, including Blink 182, Backstreet Boys, and Toni Braxton. He has choreographed over 200 flash mobs.
TaxSlayer Bowl Head Choreographer: Tony Gonzalez
Tony G is one of the most established choreographers and casting directors in dance, film, television, music videos, fitness and commercials. We’re excited to have Tony G show off his dance skills at the TaxSlayer Bowl! His work encompasses all styles of dance including hip-hop, jazz, contemporary, street funk and more. Never settling for staying within a “box”, jack of all trades, Tony G. continues to motivate himself to bring a fresh version to every concept presented to him; and to inspire actors, artists, directors, and dancers to explore new range within them. Last year, Tony joined us at the Valero Alamo Bowl and he was amazing to work with!
- Choreographer and Artistic Director for KidzBop
- Choreographer and co-star in Fitness Method Trainer Tracy Anderson’s exercise video
- Worked on winning television sitcoms like – The Office (Emmy Award), Community, Mike and Molly, and Up All Night
- Choreographer for ABC’s sitcom Ken
- Choreographer for MTV’s show Faking It
- Choreographer for HBO’s drama series The Leftovers
- Choreographer for CBS’ Big Brother
- Choreographer for over 250 television commercials including the 2016 Verizon Superbowl Commercial
- Choreographer for three Nintendo Wii video games
Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade Main Choreographer: Dustin Phillips
Originally from North Carolina, Dustin got his first break dancing on cruise ships and at amusement parks before moving to L.A. and dancing for pop music artists. This year, Dustin Phillips will teach our performers at the Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade in Hawaii. Dustin has a dynamic personality and is known for his hip-hop choreography. Here are just a few of Dustin’s achievements!
- Dancer for Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Backstreet Boys, Aaron Carter, Brandy, and All 4 One
- Featured dancer in the movie Black Knight
- Dancer in commercials and special television performances, including Macy’s, Disney, Nike, MTV, Paramount Theme Parks, Bank of America, Quiksilver Surf Company, Harris Teeter, and Pepsi
- Dancer at Walt Disney World and Carowinds
- Choreographer for various artists, NBA dance teams, theme parks, hotel/casino shows, industrial and college dance teams
- Taught master classes across the globe, including New Zealand, Panama, and Germany. He also was the head choreographer at the Orange Bowl in 2016!
Valero Alamo Bowl Main Choreographer: Chuck Maldonado
Whether artistic directing, choreographing, or dancing, Chuck Maldonado is known worldwide as one of the best in the business. His professionalism, magnetic personality, and perfectionist attitude make him a pleasure and joy to work with. He is a four-time award-winning choreographer. Chuck has partnered with WorldStrides in the past, most recently as a guest choreographer for the 2016 Orange Bowl master class. Chuck loves these performances and is really excited to spend time with your dance or cheer team in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl!
- Choreographed Stomp the Yard, Stomp The Yard 2: Homecoming, Bewitched, Shark Tale, and Step Up 4
- Dancer in many films such as Collateral, Dreamgirls, and Indiana Jones 4
- Worked with major recording artists including Chris Brown, P. Diddy, Ne-Yo, Fergie, Tamia, Missy Elliott, Raven Symone, Ludacris, and Lisa “Left-Eye” Lopez
- Choreographed for lots of reality dance shows, including MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew, Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance, and ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.
Orange Bowl Dance Convention Choreographer: Gigi Torres
Gigi Torres is originally from Irvine, CA, she has been training in all areas of dance from the age of 3. She has been a working performer and creator in the dance industry for 10 years. Gigi is a worldwide instructor, sharing her knowledge and love for dance from the East Coast to the West Coast and overseas in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, and Australia. Gigi lives by the her motto “Inspire and Be Inspired”…keep the cycle of inspiration going. We are so excited to have her leading dance at the Orange Bowl dance convention! Gigi’s choreography credits include:
- So You Think You Can Dance Scandinavia, Ukraine, & Poland,
- Kpop sensation Girl’s Generation Japan Tour (Assistant Choreographer),
- Indonesian Artist, Indah Dewi Pertiwi (Co-Choreographer),
- Indonesia’s #1 Boy Band, SMASH, Indonesia’s #1 Girl Band, 7 Icons, Bobby Brackins, Zoe Myers, Richard Tanumi, and German Artist, Clara.
- Choreographed for well-respected groups including Kaba Modern, Funkanometry, and Breed Dance Company and she Directed & Founded the All-Female Dance Company “Essence.”
Orange Bowl Dance Convention Choreographer: DMAC Sandoz
DMAC has had the pleasure of training with some of the best dancers and choreographers in the industry still to this day as well as working with artists like Pink, Brian McKnight, Missy Elliott, De La Soul and Nelly & the St Lunatics. DMAC is an excellent teacher and hopes to have the opportunity to share his valuable knowledge with the Orange Bowl convention dancers.
- Toured and worked with artists like Usher, Cody Simpson on the Justin Beiber Believe Tour, Jesse McCartney, Mindless Behavior, AI Japan, Anthony Lewis, Jacob Latimore, Andy Grammer and more.
- Appeared on TV shows like Dancing With The Stars, Showtime At The Apollo, Michael & Kelly, Soultrain Awards, Ellen Degeneres, The Today Show and Jimmy Kimmel.
Orange Bowl Dance Convention Choreographer: Robert Taylor Jr.
Robert Taylor Jr. is an American entertainer whose goal is to inspire and spread love and peace to people of all ages through music and dance. Robert was selected as one of the nation’s top 20 contestants for Season 8 of So You Think You Can Dance, and made it to the top 16. Robert Taylor Jr will join us as dance instructor at our 2017-18 Orange Bowl Dance Convention. Other credits include:
- American Idol Season 3, So You Think You Can Dance Season 2, MTV’s ‘Say What? Karaoke (in which he won 2 shows and made it to the finals in 2003 and 2007), Kat Deluna’s Whine Up music video
- National tour of Hairspray as a singer/dancer/actor in 2008
- Performed for Michael Jackson at Webster Hall for the Sony Music protest party, and danced for L.L. Cool J at Carnegie Hall for the CBS Network Rundown (choreographed by Gio Hubela from Iconic)
- Performed with Rihanna as a recording artist/entertainer for the Peace and Love festival in Sweden in 2012
- Performed in Rihanna’s Budweiser commercial with fellow faculty member Anthony Rue II aka AntBoogie
- America’s Got Talent as a finalist with The Mothmen
Learn more about our Cheer and Dance Programs!