Explore the Roman Empire! Starting in Provence, France work your way around Italy visiting Naples, Milan, Pompeii, Capri and Rome – and everything that comes with it.
- Depart for Provence, France:
- Arrive in Provence: Meet your tour director and check into hotel
- Nîmes: Take a tour director-led sightseeing tour of Nîmes amphitheater and Maison Carrée.
- Pont du Gard: Explore Pont du Gard, a true masterpiece of ancient architecture. The Pont du Gard aqueduct is one of the most beautiful Roman constructions in the region. Discover more about this startling monument as you follow the course of its history through the ages.
- Visit Orange Theater:
- Nice: Travel to Milan via Nice. Enjoy a Tour Director-led sightseeing tour of the Côte d'Azur's largest city. This beautiful city spills down hillsides to pebble beaches that line the shore. Your Tour Director will show you around the narrow pedestrian streets and tiny squares of "Le Vieux Nice" (Old Town), which is sprinkled with old palaces and mansions. Stroll down the Promenade des Anglais, which runs parallel to the water. Backed by Nice's grand hotels, the Promenade was built in the 19th century for the British who flocked here en masse.
- Milan city walk:
Make a sales pitch for a masterpiece by Cezanne, Monet, or another artist whose works highlight Provencal landscapes. Understand the impact that the light and landscape had on these artists.
- Naples: Travel to Naples via high-speed train and visit the Naples Archaeological Museum.
- Pompeii guided visit: Pompeii is a vast archaeological site located in southern Italy’s Campania region. Once a thriving and sophisticated Roman city, Pompeii was buried in meters of ash and pumice after the catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Near the coast of the Bay of Naples, the well-preserved site features excavated ruins that visitors can freely explore.
- Capri excursion: Cross the Bay of Naples to the island of Capri, summer home of the Roman Emperor Tiberius.
- Dance the Tarantella: Optional add-on.
Participate in the art of Italian folk dancing as you listen to the strumming of mandolins. Professional dancers in traditional attire will guide you through the Tarantella, one of southern Italy’s most renowned dances.
- Tour Rome: Travel to Rome and take a guided sightseeing tour of the Colosseum with whisper headset, Arch of Constantine, and the Forum Romanum.
- Tour Vatican City: Enjoy a guided walking sightseeing tour with whisper headsets of the Vatican Museum and visit the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
Discover the ancient secrets of the Roman gladiator games and master the basics of hand-to-hand combat at gladiator school.
- Depart Rome for home: