Teach Through Educational Travel: Taj Mahal
- Take a tour of the Taj Mahal. With so many people visiting, how do you think visitors are able to get photos of themselves without huge numbers of people in it? What do you think the impact of tourism is on this monument? What can India do to preserve the Taj Mahal, more than they are doing? UNESCO granted funds to reduce air pollution around the Taj Mahal in 1994, and to help preserve the Taj Mahal in 1986.
- The Taj Mahal boasts incredible beauty and craftsmanship, both inside and out. Read thisofficial website about the decoration of the outside of the Taj Mahal, and this official UNESCO description of the craftsmanship. Discuss the enormous effort and cost it took to coordinate the building of this palace.
- Then take an aerial tour of the Taj Mahal (click on the images on the side for different perspectives). Can you better imagine the beauty and craftsmanship of this monument with these images?
- Watch these 10 facts you didn’t know about the Taj Mahal. Which fact surprised you the most, and why?
- Read these visitor impressions of the Taj Mahal. What words might you write about this “castle in the air”?