- Arrive in Sacramento Meet your WorldStrides course leader and prepare to see California state history come to life!
- California State Capitol Building See your state legislature in action. You may get the opportunity to meet with state representatives.
- California Vietnam Veterans Memorial Pay tribute at the $2.5 million memorial, designed by a Vietnam veteran and dedicated in 1988.
- Sutter’s Fort Relive the Gold Rush and understand its effects on the United States and the world at the fort built by Swiss immigrant John Sutter more than 150 years ago.
- Authentic Wagon Ride in Old Sacramento Ride along the cobblestone streets as they did in Old Sacramento during the 1800s.
- Old Schoolhouse Museum Appreciate the differences between your class and the classes of pioneer children after participating in an 1850s-style schoolhouse lesson.
- California State Railroad Museum Understand the economic, political, social, and ecological transformations caused by the Transcontinental Railroad.
- Dinner and Hotel check-in
California State Capitol BuildingSutter's FortOld SacramentoCalifornia State Railroad History MuseumMarshall Gold Discovery Park
Take a look inside our California travel programs!
Your Adventure, Day by Day
- OPTION ONE: GOLD COUNTRY
- Breakfast and Hotel check-out
- Nimbus Fish Hatchery Discover the importance of conservation through the story of salmon and steelhead fish migrations, and discuss how humans are helping with conservation efforts.
- Olde Coloma Theatre Participate in a Gold Rush melodrama while learning historical and life lessons.
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park See the original spot where gold was discovered. Interact with interpreters to fully understand the significance of the discovery.
- Gold Rush Activity Make a trade bead necklace to take home as a souvenir.
- Pan for Gold in the American River
- Dinner in Sacramento
- Depart Sacramento for Home
- OPTION TWO: SAN FRANCISCO
- Breakfast and Hotel check-out
- Travel to San Francisco and Take the Ferry to Alcatraz Island
- Alcatraz Island Learn firsthand about the strategic importance of Alcatraz during the Civil War and its transformation into the famed prison.
- Pier 39 Explore the sights and scenes of Pier 39, located along the San Francisco Bay. Take a peek inside the many shops that line Fisherman's Wharf, and take time out to watch the beautiful hand-painted carousel.
- Cable Car Ride Soak in the sights of the city as you ride in one of San Francisco’s historic cable cars.
- Exploratorium Have fun in this world-famous interactive science museum with more than 650 hands-on exhibits.
Depart San Francisco for Home.
Please note: Travel time from different parts of the state may modify this itinerary. Prices vary depending on activities chosen and duration of program.
*These itineraries may be modified and inclusions and airports substituted depending on your travel dates, arrival and departure times, national holidays, hours of operation, and events beyond WorldStrides’ control.
Have Questions? We Have Answers.
Can students earn academic credit from their travel programs?
How do I register for my program/trip?
What’s included in the cost of the program?