- Arrive in Sacramento Meet your WorldStrides Course Leader and prepare to become a pioneer for the day! As you enjoy the activities and free time around camp, imagine how different your life would be if you were a California pioneer.
- Sutter’s Fort Relive the Gold Rush and understand its effects on the United States and the world at the fort built by Swiss immigrant John Sutter more than 150 years ago.
- Travel to Coloma and Camp check-in
Immerse yourself in the life of a pioneer. Find out why people migrated to California and the struggles they faced. Eat pioneer foods, make pioneer crafts, and
interact with interpreters to learn firsthand about the earliest
California settlers. Participate in various camp activities such as:
• Attending an interactive pioneer woman presentation
• Enjoying a Native American presentation with stories and dance
• Creating a leather pouch for gold storage
• Panning for gold in the American River
• Eating an outdoor camp dinner
• Learning about pioneer folk music
- Bunk Down in Tents and Lights Out.
Alcatraz IslandMarshall Gold Discovery ParkCalifornia State Capitol BuildingSutter's FortPier 39
Take a look inside our California travel programs!
Your Adventure, Day by Day
- Breakfast in Camp
- Camp Activities Enjoy an interactive mountain man presentation, learn about tinsmithing, and create a souvenir.
- Camp check-out
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park See the original spot where gold was found. Interact with interpreters to fully understand the significance of the discovery.
- Olde Coloma Theatre Participate in a Gold Rush melodrama while learning historical and life lessons.
- Travel to San Francisco
- Dinner and Hotel check-In
- Breakfast and Hotel check-out
- Take the Ferry to Alcatraz Island.
- Alcatraz Island Learn firsthand about the strategic importance of Alcatraz during the Civil War and its transformation into the famed prison.
- Pier 39 Explore the sights and scenes of Pier 39, located along the San Francisco Bay. Laugh along with the sea lions and take a peak inside the many shops that line Fisherman's Wharf. Be sure to take time out to watch the beautiful hand-painted carousel.
- Cable Car Ride Soak in the sights of the city as you ride one of San Francisco's historic cable cars. Check out the amazing turntables that rotate the cars 180 degrees when they reach the end of their route.
- Exploratorium You'll have a blast at this world-famous interactive science museum. Explore more than 650 hands-on exhibits, which cover topics from the human body to outer space.
Depart San Francisco for Home
Please note: Travel time from different parts of the state may modify this itinerary. Prices vary depending on activities chosen and duration of program.
*These itineraries may be modified and inclusions and airports substituted depending on your travel dates, arrival and departure times, national holidays, hours of operation, and events beyond WorldStrides’ control.
Have Questions? We Have Answers.
Can students earn academic credit from their travel programs?
What’s included in the cost of the program?
How do I register for my program/trip?