- Arrive in Sacramento Meet your WorldStrides Course Leader and prepare to become a pioneer for the day! As you enjoy the activities and free time around camp, imagine how different your life would be if you were a California pioneer.
- Sutter’s Fort Relive the Gold Rush and understand its effects on the United States and the world at the fort built by Swiss immigrant John Sutter more than 150 years ago.
- Travel to Coloma and Camp check-in
Immerse yourself in the life of a pioneer. Find out why people migrated to California and the struggles they faced. Eat pioneer foods, make pioneer crafts, and
interact with interpreters to learn firsthand about the earliest
California settlers. Participate in various camp activities such as:
• Attending an interactive pioneer woman presentation
• Enjoying a Native American presentation with stories and dance
• Creating a leather pouch for gold storage
• Panning for gold in the American River
• Eating an outdoor camp dinner
• Learning about pioneer folk music
- Bunk Down in Tents and Lights Out.
Sutter's FortMarshall Gold Discovery ParkOld SacramentoOlde Coloma Theatre
Take a look inside our California travel programs!
Your Adventure, Day by Day
- Breakfast in Camp
- Camp Activities Enjoy an interactive mountain man presentation, learn about tinsmithing, and create a souvenir.
- Camp check-out
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park See the original spot where gold was found. Interact with interpreters to fully understand the significance of the discovery.
- Olde Coloma Theatre Participate in a Gold Rush melodrama while learning historical and life lessons.
- Travel to Sacramento
- Dinner and Hotel check-in
- Breakfast and Hotel check-out
- California State Capitol Building See your state legislature in action. You may get the opportunity to meet with state representatives.
- California Vietnam Veterans Memorial Pay tribute at the $2.5 million memorial, designed by a Vietnam veteran and dedicated in 1988.
- Authentic Wagon Ride in Old Sacramento Ride along the cobblestone streets as they did in Old Sacramento during the 1800s.
- Old Schoolhouse Museum Appreciate the differences between your class and the classes of pioneer children after participating in an 1850s-style schoolhouse lesson.
- California State Railroad Museum Understand the economic, political, social, and ecological transformations caused by the Transcontinental Railroad.
- Dinner in Sacramento
Depart Sacramento for Home
Please note: Travel time from different parts of the state may modify this itinerary. Prices vary depending on activities chosen and duration of program.
*These itineraries may be modified and inclusions and airports substituted depending on your travel dates, arrival and departure times, national holidays, hours of operation, and events beyond WorldStrides’ control.
Have Questions? We Have Answers.
Can students earn academic credit from their travel programs?
How do I register for my program/trip?
What’s included in the cost of the program?