The official name of the National Cathedral is the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Although it is an Episcopal Church, the Cathedral’s constitution states that it is to be a “house of prayer for all people, forever free and open to all who may enter its doors.”
- President Wilson, buried in the Cathedral, is the only President to be laid to rest within the District of Columbia.
- The Cathedral is a 14th Century Gothic-style structure, shaped like a Latin Cross, and is the sixth largest church in the world.
- The west Rose window contains over 10,000 pieces of glass, and the Space Window has a piece of the moon in it!
- One of the gargoyles located on the northwest corner of the west tower is Darth Vader, of Star Wars fame.
- The Central tower is 676 feet above sea level, making it the highest point in the District of Columbia.